Creamy Spinach Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil $
- 2 1/4 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium) $
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt $
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper $
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided
- Cooking spray
- 12 cooked whole wheat lasagna noodles, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 10 minutes or until onion is browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and spinach. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 3 minutes or until spinach is tender. Set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, milk, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add 2 cups milk mixture to spinach mixture. Cover remaining milk mixture, and set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce; top with half of spinach mixture. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1 cup marinara sauce, and 3/4 cup cheese. Layer 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining spinach mixture, and remaining 3 lasagna noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce. Pour reserved milk mixture over the top, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until lasagna is browned on top. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
* Replace full-fat cheeses with reduced-fat and part-skim cheeses.
- Cooking a Healthier Lasagna (fitnessandfeta.com)
- Recipe for Four Cheese Turkey Lasagna (foodiecitymom.com)